Thread: Reducing Bounce Rate

Registered Member

Reducing Bounce Rate

Hey Guys, my website currently has a 77% bounce rate over the month of April according to Google Analytics. First, how terrible is this by comparison?

Also, do you have any general suggestions on ways to reduce a website's bounce rate?

Re: Reducing Bounce Rate

Now that is a very interesting question. I believe the average bounce rate to be approximately 70% if my memory serves me correct. While your looking at your stats, what pages that are viewed have the most visitors? Then what keywords do they come in on? There are several reasons for a high bounce rate. in order of importance;

- Your visitors are not engaged with your content
    - keyword search nets a page that is not relevant to the search
    - visitors are overwhelmed with all those link or click choices
    - your content is not broken up into short paragraphs and has long sentences with big words.
    - Your site is ugly, (just playing)

Less choices for the visitors is important. You want them to start clicking as soon as possible. A good way to do that is to land them on a simple welcome page; then allow them to choose the option that best fits their needs, for instance a "seed" keyword to land on, with either page links or category links to further engage them. As they drill deeper into your site they will find what they are looking for. And you have achieved a primary goal; you have them clicking.

If they first land on your site and don't find exactly what they are looking for they bounce. If they land on your site and it appears relevant they will stick. Even if it isn't totally relevant but seems interesting they will stick.

Pictures, videos, and other eye catchers allow visitors to glance your site and determine if it interests them. Written content, meaning long boring articles may be nice for robots, but humans respond best to visual stimuli.

Bounce rate is important, it measures user engagement with your site.
    to your success !
    James "Jim" Blackstone
    Google Slap Recovery?

3. The following user left a 'Thank You' for this post:

Registered Member

Thank you, naturalone!

Okay, I had no idea the average rate was that high - that makes me feel (a little) better

I have been going through each of those points you listed, thanks so much for those. I have already made a list of changes and I will implement these over the next week or so and get back to you on how my bounce rate has improved.

I think the most interesting point is making sure that your page is relevant to what the visitor is looking for, that seems so obvious now. Now I've got some work to do - making sure my pages are relevant to the visitor's interests...

I appreciate your kind words. You will see that when "hang time" increases so will conversions should you have offers on your pages. I believe that a target for "bounce rate" should be 60% or better. I like 55%.
    to your success !
    James "Jim" Blackstone
    Google Slap Recovery?

Registered Member

Tips to reduce Bounce Rate:

1. Provide Relevant Content : It is no-brainer for us to provide relevant page content to our audience. But sometimes we don’t know how to do so. Knowing our visitors is one thing, optimizing our pages for them is another. Relevant content can be described as writing good content that is easy to understand (minimize introduction of unnecessary technical term or connect using the language they speak).

2. Provide Enough Content:Let’s make sure we provide enough information to our visitors. That can be in a form of photos, videos, related links and of course enough copy.

3. Update Content Regularly: One of the reasons visitors leave a landing page is that the information presented there is inaccurate, irrelevant or outdated.

My bounce rate is horrendous - mostly because I get around 100 hits a day on people looking for an image of a lightbulb! they click the image, copy it and go, I'm torn as to whether or not to remove it, 100 visitors is huge to me right now - but is it worth it if they aren't targetted?

I've found a few things that can help reduce bounce rate. One is to have your navigation easy to see and access. Another is to have your message that you want your readers to know completely clear. Sometimes an infographic can help with that. Also make sure your font is easy to read and that the contrast of text is easy to see.

9. The following user left a 'Thank You' for this post:

I am agreed with my friend naturalone regarding that issue.