Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Doing freelance work to make extra money.

Newbie+

Doing freelance work to make extra money.

Recently I signed up to a freelance site in Australia because I thought I would be able to make some extra money on the side but upon signing up I found that there were a lot of Freelancers from Asia and Eastern Europe who were undercutting me at every turn.

Has anyone else had a similar experience as this or know's of any good freelance sites to get work on as a native English speaker?

Re: Doing freelance work to make extra money.

I think that'll be tough because like you said, others will be undercutting you from developing countries.

My advice: If you're a great english-speaking writer, don't go for those low-end jobs. Setup a serious article/copy writing business and charge what you're worth. You won't get the cheap jobs, but do you really want them anyways? Setup your own website, post classified ads as a high quality writer and find long terms clients that will give you the prices you deserve.

3. The following users left a 'Thank You' for this post:

Another place you might try is TextBroker.com. Payment to writers is based on how good you are. There are different ratings for different levels of writing. They are a pretty reputable website and are used by many different businesses. It is a good place to buy articles too.

Registered Member

If you have the talent, you have to market it well. Create networks in the business. I agree you should not go for low-end jobs. You have the talent. Who knows, you might be one of those who will outsource to developing countries someday. Good luck!

Newbie+

You can try to find freelancercareers com. To my mind this is worthy site for skillful freelancers. Probably somebody will add to this topic more useful resources.

You can also find clients as a freelance virtual assistant. VAs are in-demand nowadays.

Newbie+

I started making money online freelancing writing services and stuff like that. I didn't treat it as an income though. I basically only did it so I could save up money to purchase domains, hosting, and certain SEO services like backlinking and what not.

Newbie+

yes there are many sites which offer freelance work.. some of them are legitimate while others are fakers

Competition is a fact of life and it's sure getting more competitive by the minute. I too have noticed on sites like oDesk a lot of competition from contractors from Southeast Asia mainly. I personally don't see them as undercutting me because a lot of this has to do with employers/companies wanting cheap labor for things like data entry, etc. If you're a native English speaker/ writer you won't really have to worry much since many companies out there are looking for quality writing.

Virtual assistants are sure in great demand but these jobs command such a poorly hourly rate. Who works for 80 cents an hour? I had a look at both odesk and elance and can really see the stiff competition. Some people appear very desperate and are even willing to work for nothing. I saw this guy applying for a job and his hourly rate was $0?

Freelance is great, especially if you have skills that are high in demand like programmers. A friend of mine is a programmer and he makes great iPhone apps, which make him a nice income.