Thread: How I Created an iPhone App with 35,000+ Downloads

How I Created an iPhone App with 35,000+ Downloads

In early 2012, I developed a productivity iPhone app that allows users to track the time they spend working on projects. It is called Sessions [App Store Link]. So far, about 3 months after launch, this app has 35,000+ downloads and great reviews from users. It even reached the #1 most downloaded app in all of Brazil for a few days. I want to share with you a simple overview of getting a great app developed and launched.

Step 1: Create the Specs
    I spent considerable time outlining exactly how I wanted my app to perform. I wrote out 4 full pages of specs, listing every button and feature, accounting for every possibility, providing screenshots and wireframes, and making the job as clear as possible. This was hugely important, as we'll see below.

Step 2: Get the App's Interface Designed
    When you find a developer, many of them have in-house designers who can design the app and then pass it off to the coders to make it "work." I don't particularly like that approach. Rather, I prefer working with my own interface designers to create the look and feel before ever handing it off to the developers. This helps visualize the app and work out any problems before you get started.

For my app, I did the interface design myself, as I have a little photoshop skills, but it took me months. I would have been better finding a killer designer on Elance instead.

Step 3: Get the App Coded
    With all the prep work completed, the most difficult and important phase – actually building the app – goes much more smoothly. You're giving the developers complete specs and a completed design, reducing the chance for miscommunication and greatly speeding up the process.

I posted my project on Elance and got over 30 offers. Most of them were auto-generated replies from companies in India who never even looked at my project. But but digging into the details, I sent replies to a handful of companies with great reviews and ultimately selected a fantastic developer from Europe.

The people at this company were super professional and completed the entire app in under 2 weeks. This is partly due to their great work ethic, and partly due to my specs and design being clear enough that we had no issues. The app turned out fantastic and I was ready to submit it to Apple...

Step 4: Submit to Apple and Launch
    Finally, you need a developer account with Apple to submit the apps, which costs $99/year. Your developer can help with the complex tasks of packaging and uploading to Apple. Then, it's under review for about 4-6 business days while Apple makes sure it complies with their standards.

Also during this time, you must write a description that will show in the App Store and keywords that are used to find your app through the search feature. Spend considerable time making these *incredible* as it can often be the difference between hundreds of downloads and zero.

P.S. I did virtually no marketing for this app. Since 95% of your customers will find you from within the App Store itself, there isn't much else you can do. That's why it is imperative to choose the right keywords (so users will find you through search terms) and a strong description to sell your app.

Registered Member

Re: How I Created an iPhone App with 35,000+ Downloads

35,000 downloads? Fantastic! Congrats on the success of your app. That's really inspiring. I have a few cool app ideas myself and I would love to create one myself sometime later this year.

Registered Member

Wow, that's a truckload of downloads.
    Imagine Angry Birds.

Thanks for the outline - it's useful. Will be bookmarking

-wittyblogger

Registered Member

thats amazing! you make it sound so easy. I'm curious, roughly how much does it cost to have an app like that made start-to-finish when its all said and done?

Quote Originally Posted by Koaboy View Post
    thats amazing! you make it sound so easy. I'm curious, roughly how much does it cost to have an app like that made start-to-finish when its all said and done?
    Thanks! It's not quite that easy though! I spent $1,500 on the pure coding and did the design myself. If you added design, it might be another $500 or so. Also, it varies widely depending on how complicated your app actually is. Mine was a pretty simple productivity app, games would be much more.
    Download the ZZZ Profits eBook Course | Read the Forum Rules

Banned

always wanted to create an app. thanks for the help!

Registered Member

Congretz buddy. Thanks for share with us.

unsorieFrenseJO

Persistence is required simply because style creative designers is often nearer to temperamental designers compared to in order to stolid businesspeople, states Francesca Sterlacci, seat associated with FIT's ladies put on division. However the abercrombie and fitch outlet online,   Ellie demonstrated coach usa outlet, as well as insufficient entire body manage when you are generating the vehicle inside a dedicated style negate the advantages of the superb powertrain. As the variety mattress topper may without doubt attract a few, we would suggest opting for the, louis vuitton outlet.

unsorieFrenseJO

Require Assist? Make reference to the useful FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS area for just about any difficulties you may be going through. canada goose jackets sale,   I've centered on wedding trousseau; pre wedding ceremony, wedding ceremony as well as publish wedding ceremony clothes. We now have utilized silks, muslin, chiffons as well as Banarasi materials, along with gota patti function becoming the actual cintura gucci, good expansion from it towards the research associated with combined options comes after., moncler outlet online.

unsorieFrenseJO

As well as your woman definitely accomplished the woman's goal whenever your woman sculpted open up the woman's shirt to exhibit away the woman's bra while watching surprised target audience. coach outlet store online,   A great understanding of ERP Techniques (Oracle at the Company or SAP). bauletto louis vuitton,   PG: That which was your own "a ha" second? CZ: Viewing the family associated with federally decreasing in numbers Karner azure butterflies arise within past due Might or even earlier 06 really was effective personally. At that time, We recognized, juicy couture outlet.